Saturday, June 7, 2008

Oops...

My co-worker's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, so my co-worker has been pretty stressed, working the endless hours at work while trying to be supportive to her mom.

The other day, she was expressing her frustration with the fact that her mom was eating horrible food, like KFC, which her doctors obviously say to avoid. The first thing out of my mouth?

"Oh yeah, before my dad died, he ate tons of crappy food all the time, including KFC!"

Not "when my dad was sick" or "when my dad had cancer"... "BEFORE MY DAD DIED"...

As soon as it escaped my mouth, I realized my faux pas. I mean, I wasn't ashamed of it or anything but I just realized how horribly insensitive it was. She didn't seem to really catch it or care, but I'm sure she caught it... and cared.

Oops. I must remember that not everyone is a member of the DPC and even those who are probably do not appreciate such wording.

Apologies! :-(

No comments: